Friday, December 7, 2012

Tin Foil, Sink or Float by Mac

In science, Room 101 has been making tin foil boats.

First, we cut tin foil and shaped it into a boat.

Next, we filled up a bucket with water and tested the boats to see if they float.

Then, we put marbles in the boats to see how many marbles the boat could hold without sinking. I found that my "4x4" boat could hold 10 marbles before sinking.

(Note from the teachers: in the video above, Mac demonstrates how the tin foil boats were tested and explains the effect that surface area has on an object's buoyancy.)

3 comments:

  1. Great job! Very informative. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mac,

    I love your name! I wonder what it's short for?

    Your video was super interesting. I cannot believe how quickly the boat with smaller surface area sank!

    I wonder how this applies to big ships in the sea. I certainly wouldn't want to be on a cruise ship with a small surface area on its bottom! Eek!

    Great work!
    Coreen

    PS: Sorry I had to delete my first comment -- spelling mistake!

    ReplyDelete