Friday, March 1, 2013

Vocabulary by Arabella

In writing, we have these special words like grit and charred and lots of others. We have hand motions for the words. We have lots of different hand motions. We get a lot of new words and when Mrs. Mills or Mrs. Barnett don't know hand motions for the word, it's up to the students to come up with them, which happens a lot. A student came up with the hand motion for grit. 

Sometimes we play this game for the words during snack where someone does the motion and people guess what the word is that goes with that motion. The student doing it for the class calls on a person who knows the answer. This game is really fun. We get to play it a lot.

If you want to see some of the words, watch my video. There will be two people in the video with me. We are going to say the word and do the motion. We're going to say the word first and then do the motion and describe the word. So please watch the video :)!

Note from the teachers: in the video above, Arabella, Allie, and Alex demonstrate the motions for some of our vocabulary words.

1 comment:

  1. Arabella,

    I LOVE the idea of matching hand motions with words! So smart to help you remember their meanings! I used to have my students draw pictures and act out skits to remember words.

    I notice on the paper with the word on it, synonyms for the word are in the corners. Did you think of those, find them in a book, or did Mrs. Mills write them?

    I wish I could be there to play vocabulary charades with you! Really good words are among my favorite things in the world :)

    Your video is COAXING me to want to visit!
    Coreen :)

    ReplyDelete